Alphosyl ‘2 in 1’ Shampoo
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
2 IN 1 SHAMPOO
Alcoholic extract of coal tar 5% w/w
Herbal fragrance shampoo for the treatment of Psoriasis, Seborrhoeic dermatitis, Eczema, Itching scalp and Dandruff
Please read through the information below, as well as on the side of this carton before you start using this medicine. This medicine is available without prescription, but you still need to use Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo carefully to get the best results from it.
What Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo does
Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo is used to treat scalp conditions such as psoriasis, seborrhoeic dermatitis, eczema, itchiness and scaling due to these conditions and dandruff.
The active ingredient is alcoholic extract of coal tar, which relieves itching and is an anti-scaling agent which helps breakdown keratin (part of the skin’s structure).
Check before you use Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo
Do not use Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo:
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to coal tar or any of the other ingredients (listed on the side of this carton).
- to treat infected, open or damaged skin.
- to treat sore or acute pustular psoriasis (skin redness covered by pus filled blisters).
Take special care with Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo:
- Talk to your doctor of pharmacist if your symptoms persist.
- Use with caution in children under 12 and only on advice from a doctor or pharmacist.
- Stop using the shampoo if your scalp becomes irritated.
- Do not get it in your eyes. If necessary, rinse out with warm water.
- Can stain skin and clothes and in rare instances has caused temporary changes to hair colour. Skin stains will wear off after treatment is stopped.
- May cause sensitivity to sunlight. Avoid using sunlamps and spending a long time in the sun during use.
- If you accidently swallow any shampoo, contact your doctor immediately.
Pregnancy and breast feeding
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo if you are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant or are breast feeding. If you do breast-feed, ensure you wash-off all traces of shampoo.
Use Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo once or twice a week for four weeks.
1. Wet hair thoroughly.
2. Use enough shampoo so that the lather is sufficient to cover your scalp, hair and adjacent areas, if also affected.
3. Massage the scalp and adjacent areas, if needed, well using your fingertips.
4. Rinse your hair thoroughly.
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4.
Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo should be in contact with your scalp for a total time of three to five minutes over the two applications.
If you forget to use Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo, just apply the next day instead.
If you use more Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo than recommended or use more often than recommended, you may be more likely to get skin irritation or skin sensitivity to sunlight.
For external use only.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if your symptoms persist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo can have side effects, but not everyone gets them.
Stop the treatment and contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
- Allergic reactions which my be severe such as raised and itchy skin rash (hives), swelling of the face or mouth or difficulty breathing.
Some of the below effects can also be symptoms of the condition you are treating. However, if you experience any of these effects for the first time after starting use, or if these effects worsen, stop using Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo and speak to your doctor or pharmacist:
- unusual hair loss or thinning
- eczema (itchy skin rash)
- abnormal hair texture
- skin irritation, skin may be dry, red or itchy, you feel a burning sensation of the skin
- skin pain, rash or swelling at the application site.
- eye irritation
- hair colour changes
- sensitivity to sunlight
If you do get any side effects, even those not mentioned above, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects:
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to store Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use this medicine after ‘EXP’ date shown on the carton.
Active ingredient: 5% w/w alcoholic extract of Coal Tar.
Other ingredients: Sodium lauryl sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, lauramide DEA, herbal fragrance 41.423, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose 2910, citrics acid nhydrous, guarhydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, patent blue V (E 131), propylhydroxybenzoate (E 216), methylhydroxybenzoate (E 218), water.
Contains parahydroxybenzoates which may cause allergic reactions, which could be delayed.
For further information about your condition, please contact
The Psoriasis Association
Dick Coles House
The marketing authorisation holder is
32 Vauxhall Bridge Road
and all enquiries should be sent to this address.
The manufacturer is
This carton was last updated June 2015.
It is possible that the leaflet in your medicine pack may differ from this version because it may have been updated since your medicine was packaged.
We will not accept any liability for any wrong or incomplete information, nor will we accept any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the usage of the information.